What Does the 21st Century Elementary Classroom Look Like?

Thursday, June 16, 2016

     Buzzwords.  Every few years, there are new buzzwords in teaching.  Just a few I've heard since I became a teacher would include: whole language, differentiated instruction, cooperative learning, progress monitoring, and data driven instruction. One of the newest buzzwords, at least for me, is 21st Century Learning.  I'll admit, this is one I wasn't really familiar with, so I dove into this week's W531 class readings with a true purpose-what is this, and how do I do it?

    P21's Framework for 21st Century Learning helped address the "what is it" part of my question.  21st century learning goes beyond the traditional 3 R's of reading, writing, and arithmetic to address skills students need to live and work in our digital world of today.   Students need to learn Life and Career Skills, which can include flexibility, accountability, and leadership.  Beyond this, students need to develop a sense of global awareness in our world that is constantly shrinking due to technological advances.  The Learning and Innovation Skills of critical thinking, creativity and collaboration are also added to the list of things that need to be taught in today's classroom.  The ASCD position statement told me that we need to "educate students to be successful in a complex, interconnected world."

     As the confusion started to clear, I began to wonder what a classroom of this sort looks like.  Particularly, what does an early elementary 21st century classroom look like?  This question led me to do some additional research. As a Generation X'er who has one foot in the field of the Digital Native, and one foot in the field of the Digital Immigrant, I turned to my old friend, Google.  After reading a great article on EdTechReview, and another on Edutopia, I had a clearer picture.  21st century classrooms, must include the usage of computers and other technologies, not as just a substitute for a pencil, but as a means of research and solving problems in new ways.  These classrooms have a much greater emphasis on collaborative and adaptive learning.  As an educator, I am seeing a lot more of this happening, and there are many students who need to be taught how to work collaboratively.  I imagine this is a role the elementary teacher can take, as well as being a facilitator for the more independent, hands-on student led work that will need to occur.  Students are required to take responsibility for their learning in this type of classroom.  They are expected to be actively engaged and accountable.  I was excited to find out that we are already doing lots of these things at the elementary school level, but we've got a ways to go to change some of the outdated teaching and learning practices we still use.  I'm excited to continue this study and improve my teaching skills to educate the future.

References:

ASCD. (2016). 21st Century Skills. Retrieved from: http://www.ascd.org/research-a-topic/21st-century-skills-resources.aspx


ATCS. (2009-2012). Assessment and Teaching of 21st Century Skills. Retrieved from: http://www.atc21s.org/


Goertz, Patrick. (2/27/15). 10 Signs of a 21st Century Classroom. Retrieved from:

 http://www.edutopia.org/discussion/10-signs-21st-century-classroom

P21. P21 Framework for 21st Century Learning. Retrieved from: http://www.p21.org/index.php


Saxena, Saomya. (12/20/13). Top 10 Characteristics of a 21st Century Classroom.  Retrieved from: http://edtechreview.in/news/862-top-10-characteristics-of-a-21st-century-classroom



Below is my rather sad attempt to illustrate my idea of the 21st Century  Classroom using Storyboard That.
Please click graphic to enlarge and read.

9 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your vision of the 21st century classroom. Would the computers the students use be more of a 1:1 learning such as iPads or laptops? I definitely think that you'd have to teach the students to work collaboratively and of course as you said, there'd be a few that you'd just be a guide or facilitator for. I feel that the elementary teachers can really help "set the stage" for having the kids understand and be ready to do even more of the 21st century learning as they get older by preparing them to learn to work at their own pace (yet get it done by a given date), work together, and be accountable.

    If I remember correctly, you work with kindergarten /1st grade? I am wondering what you see in the lower elementary grades as far as 21st century skills being taught/implemented?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reflecting, it seems that we aren't doing too bad of a job. There is quite a bit of collaborating and critical thinking that takes place on a daily basis. As teachers, we try to allow for creativity as much as possibly, but sadly, common core curriculum guidelines hamper creativity more than they shoulder in the younger ages.

      Delete
  3. Bethany - thank you for sharing your view on this week's topic at hand - 21st Century Skills. Your perspective about buzzwords really struck a cord with me. While I haven't been in education long, I think every industry has it fair share of the word of idea of the week while everyone tries to jump onto the proverbial bandwagon. When I read about the new literacies and 21st Century skills - what really stands out to me is how they are not that much different from what was needed 5, 10, 20 years ago. Critical thinking, Collaboration, Communication and Creativity are not new things that we need to be incorporating into our classrooms. Rather, we need to find new ways of teaching them to our students. Technology has so many benefits that if we can figure out the best way to take advantage to them, we can create new and exciting ways to engage our students. In your experience, do you see that education is just now realizing that the 4 C's are an important thing to teach or are we just looking for new ways to do it?

    I found an interesting page on buzzwords in education today that I thought might be interesting to you...it was to me as many were words I had either never heard of or didn't know what they were. I wonder how many educators out there like you have never really heard of 21st Century Skills? I had not...

    www.teachhub.com/10-educational-buzzwords-and-their-meanings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that we have been teaching the four C's for a while now, without really realizing that's what we were doing! There is a huge importance placed on teaching critical thinking skills, and allowing students to work collaboratively. Communication has always been important, but creativity tends to be an "extra", as the Powers That Be often don't realize the importance of creativity, innovation and the arts.

      Delete
  4. I had another teacher friend put this on her facebook this week and it sounds a lot like what you were talking about in your blog.
    https://www.edsurge.com/news/2015-10-01-why-the-21st-century-classroom-may-remind-you-of-starbucks
    It is an quick and interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethany,

    Thanks for your reflection--I how you worked out your understanding of 21st Century Skills. Debi makes an interesting point about the enduring nature of some of the ideas that have been rebranded as 21st century skills. (I don't know if I've mentioned this before but I'm not a big fan of the term because we're 16 years into the 21st century. It seems like we're having this discussion a little late in the game). The Department of Labor commissioned a study back in 1990. It was published by the Secretary's Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills and became known as the SCANS Report. This link gives a summary of the publication (http://www.academicinnovations.com/report.html)--see any parallels to 21st century skills? Here's a link to the full report: http://wdr.doleta.gov/SCANS/whatwork/whatwork.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ideas of how to engage young students to build a foundation for 21st Century learning are right on point in my mind. As you mentioned these are things that many teachers are already doing. I see these things at work in my own children's classrooms, and have seen the best teachers doing many of them for some time. I agree with Dr. Keller that the term may be a little behind the times, but the reality is that many teachers have recognized the value of encouraging things like collaboration, creativity, student responsibility, problem solving, etc long before the term was coined. I'm glad to see this is continuing to become even more important with the yonger/newer teachers as well.

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs