Welcome!

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

   
Wow! I never imagined that I would be turning in homework for a college class via a blog post! My how times have changed since I graduated with my Bachelor's back in 1997! I am taking W531 Technology for Teaching and Learning this summer online through IUPUI.  To be honest, my main purpose for taking this class is to renew my teaching license.  I need 6 credit hours, so this is one of the classes I've chosen to take.  However, I am really excited to learn some new ways to integrate technology into my teaching!

     When I was in college, I was just starting to get acquainted with the internet, and what it was, and didn't even own a computer.  Therefore, any technology I've used in the classroom since then have been things that I've had to figure out on my own, or learn by watching someone else. (ie-Smart board, document camera, copy machines, etc.) While I am fairly familiar with technology in my own personal life, I've always been a little intimidated or frustrated with it's usage in the classroom.  Much of this frustration has come about due to lack of good technology.  Most of our school computers are slow, old, and freeze up often, and there often aren't enough to go around.  I have found myself many times having to create a new lesson plan on the spot due to technology issues.  I also struggle with lack of ideas or know how to create engaging lessons that integrate technology and new ideas-especially with the younger, less independent kids I work with in Kindergarten and first grade.

     I'm confident that the books I've chosen will help increase my comfort level with technology integration in the classroom.  Who Owns the Learning: Preparing Students for Success in the Digital Age will challenge my thinking as I consider how to help educate 21st century learners.  I'm excited to read  Creating Innovators: The Making of Young People Who Will Change the World  because I would love to learn some ways to encourage kids to use creativity to solve problems by thinking outside of the box.

     Thanks for coming along on this journey with me as I challenge my thinking and update my teaching techniques for digital learners.

5 comments :

  1. Hello Bethany! I also tutor and have been doing so for the past 16 1/2 years. I have 6 tutor students to work with this summer and a few of them come for tutoring twice a week. This class, tutoring, and keeping up with my 2 kids is going to keep me quite busy.

    I used to teach as well, but chose to stay home with my kids. I substitute as well as tutor.

    I'm curious, do you use much technology with your tutor students? Do you tutor at the school or out of your home?

    I'm looking forward to all we will learn!

    - Angelina Mast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! Although I've tutored in the past independently, and have spent years tutoring for Sylvan, I currently only have one client for the summer. I haven't used technology with her yet, but I may bring my iPad for her to use an educational ap for a 5 minute "brain break" if needed.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. We try to use technology to get students to search and find answers to difficult clinical questions in nursing education since the amount of content is largely overwhelming and must be 'taught' in a short amount of time. I think you can use technology to get students to come up with answers...however, we must then approach our classrooms to tolerating differences in answers and opinions and facilitate those to allow students to see creative approaches to answer a question in different ways...and all be right...or all be wrong even.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name of your blog! I have actually done that to my lesson plans, a lot. I am like you in that I am renewing my teaching license, that I got around the same time as you. So like you I have had to learn a lot on my own. Also, the amount of times that I have had to change my lesson plans because the internet was down or the projector was not working is crazy. I am excited to see what new things we are going to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bethany,

    I work as a Human-Factors Engineer, mostly testing interfaces with their intended users to ensure they are safe, effecient, easy, etc. I also have two kids, a 6 year old and a 15 month old and something I've noticed is that both of them are very comfortable with touch-based devices and simple games.

    It doesn't seem to matter that they can't read the icons, they just seem to infer naturally how to use it (or they just watch us I suppose). Maybe you could use a mobile device game/activity as a reward or interactive lesson? I think young kids seem very eager to use and learn with mobile technology.

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs