SAMR and My Digital Toolbox

Thursday, July 14, 2016


First of all, SAMR is another one of those buzzwords (or buzz-acronyms, I suppose...) that I had never heard of prior to taking W531, Technology for Teaching and Learning, but it's definitely one that will influence my teaching practices from here on out. SAMR is a ladder-like model that describes the progression of technology integration in the classroom. This model was researched and developed by Dr. Ruben Puentedura, and seems to be one of the most commonly used technology integration models. I've included one of Dr. Puentedura's graphics of his model for your reference, as my purpose here is not to define and explain the model, but to discuss my potential usage of it. I really liked this blog post from Hooked Innovation that describes SAMR as less of a ladder, and more of a swimming pool. When you are new to swimming, you don't generally jump in the deep end of the pool, you start in the shallow end, and gradually work your way further out as you get comfortable.  I found this vision of the model to be rather reassuring-this doesn't mean that every lesson that isn't in the Transformation end of the model is an automatic failure.

So, as I thought of using SAMR to influence the technology integration in my future classroom, I began to think of the challenges that K-2 teachers, in particular, face when targeting the Modification and Redefinition stages of the model, especially in classrooms with 30+ students.  After all, most of these young students are new readers and writers, and require more assistance.  Applications and programs that can be independently used by older elementary students like StoryBoard That, require the student to be able to read directions and write/spell, so much more adult assistance would be required for primary ages.  I've been searching for programs and apps that target those Transformation stages that can be used by the younger kids, and I've found a few to add to my Digital Toolbox, which you can see on my Pinterest board, here.  Not all of the programs and apps in my Digital Toolbox hit the Transformation targets, but sometimes it's just nice to dip your toes in, and keep your head above water now and then.  Luckily, I did find several fun things that will have me paddling towards the deep end, as well.

I developed a rubric for use when identifying potential tools to add to the toolbox.  The criterion are concerns that I think are common among K-2 teachers in public schools.  You can see my rubric below, and as you view my Pinterest board, you will see that I have scored each entry according to the rubric guidelines.

My hope is that I will continue to add new tools to my Toolbox that will suit the needs of K-2 graders growing up in our 21 century world.  

*SAMR image is the work of Dr. Ruben Puentendura, Ph.D and can be found on his website http://www.hippasus.com/rrpweblog/



10 comments :

  1. Bethany,

    I think you did a great job on your K-2 rubric for the digital toolbox. I can definitely see myself using this in a primary classroom. I think it was very interesting how you had mentioned that the SAMR model in the areas of Modification and Redefinition can be challenging for teachers of younger students. I found myself thinking the same thing when reading over the model. It will definitely be a challenge for us, but I think that our students are ready to learn more about how to use these tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right-I think they are often ready for more challenges than we realize!

      Delete
  2. I am somewhat familiar with a few of your tools as my own kids have used them (brainpop, spelling city, starfall, etc.) I know Spelling City, my daughter used to use while I made her breakfast to work on her spelling words every day in her elementary years. It saved me from giving her the words and it was fun for her. It was a win for both of us.

    I know we are making the digital toolboxes mostly for us and the students, but I think parents of younger elementary students could benefit from having some knowledge on some of the digital tools, especially if more schools do e-learning days. (Our school still uses snow days, but about once a year they will use an e-learning day and the teachers/kids usually know it's going to happen.)

    I can see how it might be hard to reach the higher levels of SAMR in say kindergarten/1st grade, but even having the kids record their thoughts on a topic, better readers recording books for other kids to read along with that they access through a QR code should be a good start to reaching the higher levels. Just like with math, you have to have a foundation and build on that. I'm sure the next grade's teachers appreciate the students having some knowledge of how to use these digital tools.

    Thanks for sharing. I'm following your board.

    Angelina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angelina! I love Pinterest for organizing ideas for school, among other things.
      A lot of the tools could be linked on teacher's webpages for kids to use at home. Plus-the kids remember their favorites! I've had parents tell me that their child comes home begging to do various websites or programs that we've done at school.

      Delete
  3. The swimming pool analogy is great. SAMR definitely has me thinking more about my technology additions in the classroom. Every year I always say that technology is something that I am going to work in the classroom. I now have another goal and that is to add technology that will change how they think and perform an assignment not just substitution. Your rubric is great. I love your point system with the affordability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Affordability is a huge factor for me! With my district looking to cut costs and save money wherever they can, and being unable/unwilling to spend a lot of my own money on these things, it's probably one of the most important considerations. Thankfully, there are a lot of free and low cost tools to use!

      Delete
  4. Bethany,

    Thanks for sharing the analogy of the swimming pool. I think that adds a nuance that really helps the Puentedura model. I also really liked the fact that you based your review of apps on class-room level concerns and that you tested your rubric on the tools you put in the tool chest. I'm curious on a couple of points:

    1. Did your rubric undergo any changes as you used it. In other words, did you have a set of criteria that you thought would work and then found yourself needing to modify it as you got into the review process?

    2. Did you exclude any tools from your toolbox based on your rubric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't change my rubric as I added items to my Tool Box. Many of the apps/websites/programs I chose were things that I have used or seen used effectively in the classroom, so I kind of had them in mind as I developed the rubric. There weren't any that I left out, but I will be considering the rubric whenever I add anything else.

      Delete
  5. When I looked at your Pinterest board I thought you might find ixl.com useful. Students can do 20 practice problems each day for no charge.

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs